Summer (age 20) writes, “Hi Hannah.
I have irregular periods so this is quite confusing. I had the first day of my last certain period on March 7 I think. And the whole month of April I’m sure I didn’t get it. My boyfriend and I had our first unprotected sex early morning on May 11, and right on that same day around 8am I had slight bleeding in light color then got a little heavier along the way. I was expecting my period that week too, so I don’t know if it’s the spotting. The bleeding lasted till May 18 so that gave me the thought that it might be my second period after the March 7th. We had another unprotected sex on May 23rd. He never came inside me everytime we made love. He always pulls out when he knows he’s about to cum. I took two pregnancy tests around May 24th and it showed both negative (this was taken for the May 11 intercourse). I’m about to take another pregnancy test this week or days after June 18 because my next expected period should be June 11 to 18.
My questions are:
1) Was it too early that I took the 2 tests after May 11?
2) Should I take the pregnancy test at the end of the week or should I wait after 18th?
3) Is it possible that I might be pregnant as of this moment?
I’m getting paranoid that I might be coz I’m kinda suspicious at how my tummy looks (kinda bulges a teeny lil bit, dunno if it’s just fat or what) though I never had any symptoms of pregnancy yet.”
You’re 100% positive that your boyfriend never ejaculated semen any of the times you had unprotected sex? Is he also 100% positive?
In answer to your three questions:
1) Yes, taking 2 urine pregnancy tests on May 24th for the May 11th incident is kind of pushing it.
2) A home pregnancy test is looking for levels of hCG in your urine. Usually, the later you take it, the higher the level of hCG, and the more readily that a home pregnancy test will be able to detect the hCG. If you don’t want to purchase several HPTs, then I’d say to wait until after the 18th to take your next one.
3) It’s hard to know for certain whether you might be pregnant or not right now – due to your irregular periods, any normal calculations aren’t possible. If your boyfriend absolutely didn’t ejaculate any semen into you while having sex, then your risk of becoming pregnant from any so called “pre-cum” is also very slim. Slightly possible, yes, but extremely slim unless he did a small squirt of real semen before orgasm (and, yes, that does happen and the guy might still think he didn’t ejaculate anything). I’d say that you are probably not pregnant, but I wouldn’t gamble a million bucks on it. Definitely do take at least one more pregnancy test, but wait a little while so that, if you are pregnant, any hCG in your system can build up to a high enough level so your next pregnancy test will detect it.
Please keep us posted!